Periodontal diseases are caused by the inflammation and infections of bones and gums that cover and support the teeth. The early stage is called gingivitis, in which gums become red, inflamed and bleed.
Periodontal diseases can be treated but not cured fully. You can prevent your teeth from further damage by taking preventive measures and visiting the doctor regularly.
Causes of Periodontal Diseases
- Improper intake of nutrients such as high carbohydrates, sugar and low water will lead to plaque formation. The plague formation is also involved in many periodontal disorders.
- Similarly, vitamin C deficiency will also weaken the healing of tissues.
- Some diseases like Diabetes mellitus also weakens the process of circulation and gums capacity to heal.
- Aging will also affect the receding gums in a bad way
- Stress conditions will impair your immune system and get affected by bacterial attack.
- Crooked/disoriented teeth will be suspected for the accumulation of plague, which is harder to remove and causes periodontal diseases.
- A cancer patient can easily become a victim of periodontal diseases as their immune system is very weak.
- Sports injury will also causes many periodontal diseases
- Medication like antiseizure increases the rate of periodontal diseases
- Less saliva production will also affect your gums badly
- Smoking contains tobacco which will lead to periodontal diseases
- Poor oral hygiene are the root cause of periodontal disorders
- Grinding of teeth and Piercing of lips
Can Receding Gums Grow Back?
Many treatments are recommended for receding gums; unfortunately, the regeneration of your gum tissues is not possible. Once the tissues get affected, there is no way to regrow them like before. Read Review On Can Receding Gums Be Reversed?
Surgical Methods to Reverse Periodontal Disease
- Your doctor prescribes special mouth rinses/mouthwashes to eliminate the disease-causing bacteria.
- Some patients have severe periodontal disease, in which scaling or root planing is prescribed to deep clean the pockets.
- After removing tartar by a dentist, there is a need to do proper brushing and flossing after every meal.
- Sometimes flap surgery will also be performed, which helps to reduce the size of the pockets formed around the teeth.
- In this surgery, the gum tissues are lifted, deep cleaning has been performed, and sometimes bones are also reshaped. After all this, the gums are placed back to the original position to minimize pocket size.
- Grafting is another way to reverse periodontal diseases . A layer of soft tissue has been placed onto the exposed area of receding gums. It will protect the teeth from getting exposed too much. This layer of tissues will help to protect the gums while brushing.
- For protecting your gums from periodontal diseases, a Gum-colored resin has been fused onto the area of gum receding. The bonding will help protect your teeth from decay and bacterial attack, while the resin helps look your teeth neat and clean while smiling. This procedure is called Gum bonding.
- This newly designed pinhole surgical technique is usually for those patients who are afraid of gum grafting. Pinhole surgery is an alternative technique to gum grafting. It helps to minimize the post-operative signs of surgery and helps to regain your smile instantly.
- In the Regeneration method, some regenerative material like graft tissues, membrane and tissue-stimulating protein will be placed at the affected gum area to regenerate the damaged tissues automatically. After applying the regenerative material, the gum tissues are secured and are not allowed to be exposed directly.
- The regeneration technique is very helpful and consistent in the gum recession process. Most of the patients having pinhole surgery report positive results throughout their lifetime, but some people see mild changes in gum recession due to some genetic factors.
- A new technique has been developed to treat the receding gums with some radiation. A laser-assisted new attachment procedure (LANAP) helps deep the receding gums, stimulate healing tissues and remove affected tissues.
Use of Antibiotics to Reverse Periodontal disease:
- Antibiotic therapies have also been applied to treat the receding gums, kill the bacteria and minimize the pocket size.
- Peridex is also an antiseptic mouthwash that helps reduce the bacterial growth that causes the disease.
- Antiseptic chips will also be inserted into your pockets after root planning to heal your receding gums.
- Antiseptic mouthwash also helps to disinfect your mouth
- Other than that, some NSAIDs and xylocaine are also prescribed to control the inflammation and pain.
Home remedies to Reverse Periodontal disease:
These preventive measures will help you to reverse periodontal diseases
- Daily Brush your teeth
- Use of coconut oil
- Aloe Vera gel
- Turmeric gel
- floss your teeth regularly
- Avoid using tobacco products.
- Oil pulling
- Stay away from sugary food and drinks
- Use of salt rinse
- Avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Take a healthy diet full of vitamins.
- Use of Thyme essential oil
- Drink green tea regularly
- Make sure the toothpaste doesn't irritate your teeth.
Reversing the Process of Periodontal Disease:
By making an appointment with your doctor, he will examine your teeth properly and suggest deep cleaning or scaling your teeth. In these procedures, the teeth gums are cleaned up, making them bacteria-free for some time, avoiding periodontal disease.
These are the initial steps to reverse the periodontal diseases, but for long term results, you should follow these methods:
- Flossing your teeth regularly
- Regular dental check-up
- A balanced diet with no smoke and tobacco consumption.
- Gently brush your teeth twice a day.
- Notice the initial symptoms of periodontal diseases.
- Making your lifestyle healthy will help you to stop
- gum receding
- Try to wash your mouth with a saltwater rinse daily
The great way to reverse periodontal disease is to detect the problem in the early stages. You don't have to wait for a dentist to tell you about the receding gums problem. If there is any pain or inflammation that happens to your teeth, keep the preventive measures. Early detection will lead to finding early solutions. Treat your receding gums on time so that you can enjoy a big smile on your face all the time without any hesitation.